Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Last Lecture

I felt strongly that I wanted to read this book. I am so glad that everyone else enjoyed it, too. I had big plans. I am so grateful for the amazon turn out. Despite bringing in an extra couch it was a tight squeeze. What a lovely problem to have!

After I gave book background, Jai is remarried and wrote her own book we started with introductions and writing down our childhood dreams. We discussed whether we would give the lecture if we were in a similar situation. In a way, we realized that being women, our view was different. We talked about telling young children about terminal illness and about whether we would let our children paint their room like Randy's mother did. We talked about the $100,000 salt and pepper shakers, carnival stuffed animals and correcting those we love. I brought out crayons and everyone smelled them. Did it bring back childhood memories? For treat I did not want to serve soda and funny shaped pancakes. So, in keeping with the childhood dreams aspect, I brought out a treat from my childhood...Blue Bell ice cream.

Here are questions, quotes and topics I wanted to discuss but ran out of time. Many questions are straight from the book. He asks them in the text:

What wisdom would you impart to the world if you knew it was your last chance?

If you had to vanish tomorrow, what would you want as your legacy?

What makes you unique? What do you alone truly have to offer?

Are you afraid to ask questions? Do you feel it is admitting you don't know something and that is weakness?

He said, "No job is beneath you." What do you think?

If you dispense your own wisdom, other often dismiss it, if you offer wisdom from a third party, it seems less arrogant and more acceptable. (Do you think this is true? Thoughts?)

When you are screwing up and no one says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you.

The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.

People are more important than things.

Not everything needs to be fixed.

Don't complain. Be positive in spite of grim news.

Head fakes.

Next month:
We are going to Kacey's to discuss The Dirty Life by Kristen Kimball. May 14th @ 7:00pm.

No comments: