Monday, May 28, 2012

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

 Book Club was at my house last week. We discussed The Invention of Hugo Cabret and had a (kind of) tea party.


I tend to choose books that I want to share and that aren't necessarily great for discussion. I was worried about this one but needn't have been. After I gave a bit of author background. (He got all his training working at a children's book store.) We talked about the necessity of the pictures. They added so much to the story. In fact as the author wrote if he couldn't figure out how to say it well in words, he said it with a drawing instead. He took apart old watches, visited Paris and the Philadelphia museum for inspiration. He said he didn't write this book, he created it.


We talked about how everyone wants to make a difference. Everyone wants to be a success in their own way. 


Even though the pictures were in black and white there was often color there in our minds.


A theme throughout was invention. Not just the obvious invention, but the invention of self. 


Even though the "creator" thought his strength was in the illustrations I thought even the writing was well done. Some of my favorite quotes:
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and types of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason, too.” 


“Maybe that's why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn't able to do what it was meant to do...Maybe it's the same with people," Hugo continued. "If you lose your purpose...it's like your broken.” 
*I took too long to write this. I can't remember everything. Anyone else want to add something?

We did a bit of adjusting so we don't lose Jeannie and Mickey. This month we will meet the 4th Tuesday and then in July it will be the 2nd Tuesday. From then on it will be the second Tuesday. Questions?

No comments: